sEXUAL aSSAULT Your Personal Injury Lawyers

Sexual Assault Attorney in Miami

Aggressively Seeking Compensation for Victims

Unfortunately, many individuals in Miami have been victims of sexual assault or rape. It’s heartbreaking, but it’s true. If you have been sexually assaulted or raped, it’s important to know that you have the right to seek compensation by filing a personal injury claim against the person who committed the crime.

Amanda Demanda is a skilled sexual assault and rape attorney who is passionate about helping victims seek justice. She works tirelessly to hold the at-fault party financially responsible for the harm they have inflicted upon their victims.

Contact Amanda Demanda Law Group today to learn more about your legal options after a sexual assault or rape. Our Miami sexual assault lawyer is prepared to fight on your behalf.

What Are the Short- And Long-Term Effects of Sexual Assault and Rape?

Sexual assault and rape can lead to both short- and long-term consequences, including:

  • Soreness or bruising
  • Sleep disturbances
  • Headaches
  • Fatigue
  • Emotional trauma
  • Depression
  • Traumatophobia, or fear of whatever setting that trauma occurred in
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)

These consequences can completely disrupt a victim’s life.

Filing a Civil Lawsuit for a Sexual Assault or Rape

Little do many people know, victims of physical or sexual assault in Florida may be able to seek justice against the person who committed the crime in both civil and criminal court.

When someone files a civil lawsuit, it’s because the victim has suffered financially, physically, and mentally as a result of the defendant’s actions. The results of a civil case are completely separate from the results of a criminal case.

The overall goal of a civil suit is to compensate the victim. Rather than convincing a jury that the defendant was guilty, the goal is to convince the judge or jury that the defendant should compensate the victim for the harm they have suffered. This must be proven by a preponderance of evidence.

Initiating a Criminal Case After a Sexual Assault or Rape

You cannot file a lawsuit in criminal court, but you can notify the authorities that a crime has taken place and ask them to investigate. The overall goal of initiating a criminal case is to make sure the responsible party has to deal with the consequences of their actions. If the authorities find evidence that a sexual assault or rape has occurred, they can file charges against the person who committed the crime. If convicted in criminal court, this person can face time behind bars, fines, and other serious penalties.

Regardless if your attack was committed by a relative, an authority figure, or even what you thought to be a close friend, they deserve to be held accountable and face criminal charges.

What Types of Compensation Are Victims Entitled to After a Sexual Assault or Rape?

It’s true–every lawsuit is different. This is especially true when it comes to the varying complexities of sexual assault and rape cases.

But in general, victims are entitled to compensation for:

  • Medical expenses
  • Mental therapy costs
  • Lost wages
  • Loss of future earning capacity
  • Emotional damages
  • Mental disruption

The court may also award punitive damages to victims of sexual assault and rape. The court will order the defendant to pay these damages in an effort to punish the defendant and deter them from engaging in the same type of conduct again in the future.

Schedule a Free Consultation Today

Physical and sexual assault can be extremely difficult to deal with, but that doesn’t mean that you should let whoever is responsible live free of any legitimate consequences. Contact experienced Miami sexual assault lawyer Amanda Demanda to discuss the details of your case as soon as possible. With her help, you can recover the compensation you need to move forward with your life and emotionally recover from such a devastating, traumatic experience.

Schedule a free consultation to learn more about your legal options. To book your appointment, give us a call today at (305) 998-6953.